Camouflaged gasmask canister – Brush painted camouflage
Throughout world war two the German army issued and carried gas masks. After the terrible experiences in world war one these where thought of as one of the most important pieces of equipment issued. The Germans utilized every gasmask with a metal canister so to keep the gasmask in good usable condition. The metal cases where first introduced in world war one and further evolved through the Reichswehr and ultimately in 1935 by the Wehrmacht. Several small changes where made to the canisters appearance ranging from the length of the canister to sealing the lid of the canister to make it dust tight.
Notes: A nice original brush painted gasmask canister with a name and unit stamp inside the lens compartment. The named unit is that of Grenadier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 6 which was hastily moved to the Arnhem area under operation “Alarm Küste”. More information about this unit can be read here. The canister is nicely brush painted with medium and dark green camouflage paint and still retains most of this characteristic paint. A nice set complete with straps and mask, ID’ed to a interesting unit that saw action in Arnhem!