Camouflaged gasmask canister – Three tone “Normandy” camouflage
Throughout world war two the German army issued and carried gas masks. After the terrible experiences in world war one these where thought of as one of the most important pieces of equipment issued. The Germans utilized every gasmask with a metal canister so to keep the gasmask in good usable condition. The metal cases where first introduced in world war one and further evolved through the Reichswehr and ultimately in 1935 by the Wehrmacht. Several small changes where made to the canisters appearance ranging from the length of the canister to sealing the lid of the canister to make it dust tight.
The gasmask is nicely painted in the typical three-tone Normandy camouflage. The container still retains up to 85% of its original camouflage paint and retains its original straps, mask and accessories. Inside the gasmask is named to Obergefreiter Heinz Metzler with the Feldpost number 34061 which corresponds to the following units belonging to the 348. Infanterie-Division which was destroyed in the Normandy battles!
(2.1.1940-27.4.1940) 3. Kompanie Fla-Bataillon 603,
(8.9.1942-11.3.1943) Regimentsstab, 13.-14.
und 16.schwere Granatwerfer-Kompanie Festungs-Infanterie-Regiment
dann Regimentsstab, 13.-14. Panzerjager-Kompanie
und 15. schwere Granatwerfer-Kompanie Festungs-Infanterie-Regiment
dann Regimentsstab u. 13.-15. Kompanie
(23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 4.5.1944 Regimentsstab m. Einheit
(25.11.1944-Kriegsende) 11.12.1944 gestrichen.
The lid compartment still retains the spare lenses and the contamination test swabs. Underneath the gasmask is the cleaning cloth and spring but also a small envelope with Metzler name on it containing a piece of raw cotton, probably to polish the lenses. A real Normandy veteran.