Y-strap – Aluminium hardware Oberjäger Georg Neuhof
Y-straps with auxiliary straps or “Koppeltragegestell aus Leder mit Hilfstrageriemen” was first introduced in April 1939. Meant to distribute the weight of the equipment evenly, the Y-straps where a important part of the equipment. In April 1940 the official name was changed to “Koppeltragegestell für Infanterie” Even though it was introduced in 1939 it only saw widespread use from 1941 onwards. Also in that year the first “tropical” Y-straps where introduced, they stayed in production until the end of the war. As the war further progressed the Y-straps underwent many minor changes ever simplifying the production.
Markings: The markings in this Y-strap have either never been added or have worn out.
Notes: This Y-strap manufactured in natural leather which been blackened at some point. The German infantry equipment was produced in brown or untanned leather until 1940. At some point around 1940 most companies switched to using blackened leather for the production of their equipment. Equipment produced prior to this point was supposed to be blacked by the troops. (Boots/Y-straps/Belts/straps etc).
The Y-strap is named to Oberjäger Georg Neuhof.