Cavalry Y-straps – R.B.Nr. 0/0594/0005
Y-straps with auxiliary straps or “Koppeltragegestell aus Leder mit Hilfstrageriemen” was first introduced in April 1939. Meant to distribute the weight of the equipment evenly, the Y-straps where a important part of the equipment. In April 1940 the official name was changed to “Koppeltragegestell für Infanterie” Even though it was introduced in 1939 it only saw widespread use from 1941 onwards. Also in that year the first “tropical” Y-straps where introduced, they stayed in production until the end of the war. As the war further progressed the Y-straps underwent many minor changes ever simplifying the production.
Markings: R.B.Nr. 0/0594/0005
Maker: R.B.Nr. 0/0594/0005 indicates production in the area of Hessen/Nassau but it is unknown to what maker exactly.
Hardware: Painted steel
Notes: This model was issued to cavalry troops from 1940 onwards. These Y-straps where issued to cavalry troops. They are of the same design as the lightweight model as used by the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine but feature auxiliary side straps with D-rings and two vertical D-rings on the back. These small changes where made so the saddle bag can be worn on the back.